Saturday 3 August 2013

Micro Post: Basic wrist grab defenses

Here is a clip of me and a friend going quickly through our organisations set wrist grab defenses. These are the starting point for wrist grab defenses for the students at Traditonal Taekwondo Union. Me and a few friends gathered today to go through a lot of the syllabus material that are not covered enough in regular class time, and the eight wrist grab defenses were one of the things we went through (the Soak Am Ryu Poomsae 1-4, Taegeuk Poomsae 1-8, Koryo, original Koryo, Keumgang, Taebaek Poomsae and the 4 set defenses against punches was not filmed but practised a lot today).

The weather was very unstable but it was great to be practising again after a short break and it is always great to gather a few friends for some unformal practise:-)


2 comments:

  1. Sir, please can you also enlist name of the corresponding poomsae for each technique ??

    apart from the technique performed between 2:35-3:03 (which is from taebak) , i had a tough time guessing the poomsaes from which each technique comes

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Wonder you had a tough time naming the corresponding Poomsae. There are none except for the opening of Taebaek:-)

    These are simply wrist grab defenses that are required Learning within the organisation I practise under (Traditional Taekwondo Union).

    You will find similar techniques or techniques using the same principles within Pooomsae though. For instance the first technique in the Clip could be one Application for any outward knife hand strike (the Chamber is the wrist grab release the strike itself is the Counter), the straight armbar is also one of my Applications for low Block allthough the Taekwondo way is simpler requires less footwork and is not really a Lock but a way to get the opponent positioned for the final strike, while here it is textbook hapkido armbar With the Associated footwork and a Nice Lock.

    Now that I have found my old camera I will see if I can not videotape some Applications too from the Poomsae as it is way easier to look at a video Clip than interpreting my drawings or writings. The Clip in this post was simply part of one of my Projects to film all the "set" defenses, combinations and prearranged sparring for the students of the dojang I Train With Reference.

    Now all students can just click on the homepage of the Dojang I practise at and watch the defenses and training at home or at least seeing it performed might help them remember. Personally I made my own Poomsae to remember them all (see my post "creating Your own Poomsae" for details).

    Thanks for watching

    ReplyDelete